The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee - Sarah Silverman

From the outrageously filthy and oddly innocent comedienne Sarah Silverman comes a memoir—her first book—that is at once shockingly personal, surprisingly poignant, and still pee-in-your-pants funny. If you like Sarah’s television show The Sarah Silverman Program, or memoirs such as Chelsea Handler’s Are You There Vodka? It’s Me Chelsea and Artie Lange’s Too Fat to Fish, you’ll love The Bedwetter.

My Review:

I love reading bios because I like getting to see behind the curtain of what makes certain celebrities tick, I like to learn about how they became who they are today and what maintains their sort of humanity despite the change in life from average person to star.

There's this thing and I'm sure I'm not alone in this but when I read a book written by a celebrity I tend to read the book with the persons voice in mind. For those of you who know Sarah Silverman, you know she has that pre pubescent child like voice that is impossible to get out of your head. Sarah has been in films and shows like Wreck it Ralph, The Sarah Silverman Show, she's been on Masters of Sex with her husband Michael Sheen and is most notably known for doing the music video "I'm Fucking Matt Damon."  which got really popular after her break up with Kimmel which aired on her show originally.

So I'm reading The Bedwetter with her voice in my head which led to more than a few laughs but there was also quite a bit of actual seriousness in her book both that explored her childhood experiences and struggles to hide the fact that just as the title says - she's a bedwetter. The reasons why she didn't grow out of the bedwetting is never really known but its quite hilarious to read about how her struggles with this have caused her both harm and good in her life. From being screamed at and shamed in front of friends by their parents, attending summer camp with friends and being outed by camp leaders, to growing up and finding that after all the years of being judged for the issue it has also helped her discover who her real friends are.

A bit of a whild child Silverman never made it big in SNL but her pencil stabbing incident was what really got her name out there.

As a person who has struggled quite a bit in her life to get her start in the celebrity world she still maintains who she is at heart and never lets go of that inner child she's carried with her her entire life.

I felt there could have been more personal things explored or even professional things explored but there were times it felt that Silverman left some things to the reader to fill in on their own and deflected using humor which isn't uncommon with these type of books.

I won't spoil whether Silverman grew out of the bedwetting or not I'll leave that to you to find out, its a good read I suggest it to anyone who is a fan of Silverman. Even to those that aren't, or for those people out there that ever found themselves the odd kid out. You'll definitely find that Silverman is a celebrity you can relate to. And if you don't at least you'll get a couple laughs out of it.

My Rating:

Blogger

Pinterest

Amazon

Disclaimer:
Krissys Bookshelf Reviews purchased a print copy of this book. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Source:
Krissys Bookshelf Reviews purchased a print copy of this book from a retailer.

Note:
If any of Krissys Bookshelf Reviews has been helpful please stop by to like or let me know what you think! Thank you!