Madame X

Madame X - Jasinda Wilder

Madame X (Madame X #1)by Jasinda Wilder

My name is Madame X.
I’m the best at what I do.
And you’d do well to follow my rules...
Hired to transform the uncultured, inept sons of the wealthy and powerful into decisive, confident men, Madame X is a master of the art of control. With a single glance she can cut you down to nothing, or make you feel like a king.
But there is only one man who can claim her body—and her soul.
Undone time and again by his exquisite dominance, X craves and fears his desire in equal measure. And while she longs for a different path, X has never known anything or anyone else—until now.

Review:
**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**

Okay bear with me because I'm not sure what the fuck I just read but it felt like a mixed version of Spartan with Val Kilmer and Kiss the Girls with Ashley Judd except instead of getting away and being rescued the victim runs back to her captor to beg his forgiveness for attempting to save her life and goes back to being his prisoner- more than once.
Serious amount of female victims and all (total female trafficking at its best/worst)
Even after going through all the shit through the entire book not a single question is answered that the author brings up every paragraph.

X starts off strong, she's a woman that commands and takes charge, she's beautiful... and yet 30 pages in turns into a sniveling abuse victim / robot with no mind of her own living only to bend to her captors will.
None of it even remotely sexy. I couldn't even blame Caleb for strangling the shit out of her and nearly killing her because that's exactly what I wanted to do to snap some kind of sense into her.
Every page the WTF question grew exponentially until my brain wanted to burst.

I get being so afraid of the world and not knowing anything else, I understand trauma, I get that she attempted to reason with the abuse and make excuses for it and the reason behind why she tolerates being an open jizz receptacle for Caleb and frankly its not even a sexy form of sex in anyway because I just felt sick to my stomach watching this poor rag doll be beaten forced upon, beg for more, buy the bs, go back for more again, take more abuse, run back to her big brothers watching you box in the giant building of a prison where yet more women are treated exactly the same way and are kept. Only the other women are allowed to roam while X continues going back to being locked up because gosh darn it... She's just been brainwashed and oh woe is me and a glutton for more abuse.

Cue in a vague prince in not so much armor to the rescue who allows her to be taken back when her captor mysteriously finds her and she goes right back to him again. Oh these chains.. I just can't resist.. I need him... Please beat me some more.

The worst part of the entire sick disgusting mess is that I couldn't stop reading it.

X stops to enjoy freedom for all of two seconds then just meekly goes back to Caleb holding her prisoner in every way shape and form and is lucky he hasn't killed her because hes damn near tried, and shes damn near tried to do it herself. Except whaa she can't... She'd rather be trapped in a prison with her abuser playing some walking sex toy for his amusement.

X is an abuse drug addict hyped up on being broken down into nothing while breaking other people down and turning them into people. Surrounded by powerful people and a rescuer that comes and goes in a building filled with excessive security to prevent her from leaving protected by the biggest bad asses and no one is helping these females stuck in the female trafficking cartel / harem thing going on and her "body guards" just "allow" X to walk away despite being held at gun point. Weren't they supposed to be specially trained? After being built up for their skills and even after one of them tries to help her get away - literally - I had to pause so I didn't throw up because my stomach couldn't take much more.
Its the first time an "erotic" novel made me have to actually put the book down so I could run into the bathroom and heave. I was that stressed out over this book.

Sheltered doesn't cover the sheer stupidity for someone that's never been outside of a condo or drank anything except water and tea and the only electronics shes been around is a fridge and a toaster, locked in a room and her only view is a window.

At some point you just want to kill her to get it all over with.
Honestly I was hoping X would die just to put the poor moron out of her misery. Yet I have to be just as dumb because as I finish the last chapter I try to convince myself that she's going to somehow snap out of her idiotic lunacy. But as they say peoples actions speak for themselves and she's already gone back three times. I doubt it's going to change.

I was praying the entire time that Logan would rescue X unveil everything to her, free her and kill Caleb or for all of them to wind up dead. Anything to break the monotony of the crap that continued to spew out page after page.

Except here I am.. Curious as to where the insanity leads and seriously, how much worse could it get?
What is supposed to be the point in all of this? Its not erotica because its not erotic. Its sad. Its vulgar. Its thriller fiction with sick sex wrapped in it.
Could wilder have answered at least a single question in the entire book?
X was obsessed with the question "why" but that honestly should have been the title.
Why?

The whole thing can be summed up in a few sentences and it would have spared us the gore.
X is a prisoner, she is recorded on audio and video and locked in a condo. No questions allowed, no freedom at all. Repeat after me. Repeat after me. Repeat after me.
Caleb strangles the shit out of X until she blacks out uses abuse to control her because he can't control himself. X begs Caleb for forgiveness for growing a hint of a brain and has sex with him to make it all better. She gets away finally but she goes back to him. The cycle repeats.
The end?

We get a sneak peek at the next installment. Guess what?
Shes still in the condo. she is still a prisoner, shes still with Caleb the captor, the cycle repeats?
I say captor because unlike X I don't buy into the 'I saved your life I'm your hero I gave you a life' repeat it after me until I'm happy horse shit hes brain washed her into thinking and saying.

I wanted to save X. I wanted to snap some sense into her. I wanted someone to wake her up, I wanted someone to finally break the cycle. And yet we get that except she just went right back to where she started. What was the point in it all? I don't get it.

Readers are left with serious cliff hanger disease which leaves me with only one statement.
Why?

I spent so much time trying to think of a way to rate this book but I just couldn't because I had so much hate and disgust for this book, yet at the same time I have to admit the authors genius for creating such graphically expressed content. I really don't know where I go with it as far as ratings. I hated it but I want more. I was disgusted by it but it raised questions. I was completely emotionally engaged. Enraged yes. But I was caught up. Props to Wilder for being able to evoke such issues. It makes a reader respect an author that isn't afraid to dig up the absolute worst in humanity to create something new.

Rating:
- Stars

Reviewed By: Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews

Note: I received a print copy in exchange for an honest review from Berkley