Fatal Pursuit (The Aegis Series)

Fatal Pursuit (The Aegis Series) - Elisabeth Naughton

Fatal Pursuit (Aegis #3)by Elisabeth Naughton

Five years ago, Aegis Security op manager Marley Addison’s lover died in a South American raid gone horribly wrong…or so she thought. When she receives a phone call telling her that he is still very much alive and in danger, she vows to bring him home safely, even if Aegis CEO and former Navy SEAL Jake Ryder has kept her out of the field for the last few years. Then Jake shows up in Colombia to help her, leaving Marley annoyed…and more than a little distracted by her alarmingly handsome boss.
As things between Marley and Jake heat up in the wilderness, they discover their rescue mission is filled with treachery. Now the domineering Jake has to rely on Marley for survival. But can she depend on him when their mission takes a shocking and deadly turn?

My Review:
I went to an outdoor mall once and on the sidewalk passed a couple that apparently had been bickering before I passed by them, doing my best to ignore the public display of drama the female turned to me despite me passing them by and almost being at the door to walk inside spoke up and said: I hate men, they're absolutely useless in relationships.
I paused at the doors wondering whether she purposely wanted me to get involved in their issues or whether she expected me to take her side in whatever argument she and her male half were having before I walked up.
That's how I felt about reading this book. I missed out on the previous installments in the series so I completely missed out on the past history surrounding Marley which in turn left me walking half way in to her story. Marley immediately catches my attention and drags me along for the ride while she stumbles through this drama surrounding the men in her life.
Why in her right mind would she go for Jake's bs? Completely incompetent and completely wrong for her she allows herself to be walked all over even when it goes against everything we know about the kind of chick she is yet she still goes along asking us to be present for the shenanigans and the sad pairing with an epically pathetic, overly controlling and partially abusive partner.
Where is her equal? Where is her partner? Where is the super hero to make us all swoon with envy?
Why would she stick around and tolerate the insanity? It appears she doesn't know any better than to be constantly walked all over but I expected so much more for her. In the end it felt like more on going ways to place her back below the others in her life in that place where she's become accustomed to being pinned down. There's a clash of great adventure and bravery all suffocated by this need to have her lowered. It was sad, I felt so bad for her but at the same time I wanted to slap some kind of sense into her.
Fatal Pursuit was written really well but why the author would chose to pair Marley the way she did didn't make any sense to me. I get the complicated relationship issue and being torn between two men but the way she allowed herself to be treated overshadowed the entire thing for me.

I have to give the author credit for being able to write something that evokes such emotion from me because it takes a lot of talent to be able to create something that can make you feel so strongly I just wish there had been more for Marley. I cared about her I wanted better for her, instead I feel bad for her and sad for the path she chose for herself.

My Rating:
3 Stars

Reviewed By:
Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews

Note: I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review from the author.